WHEN SATURDAY COMES OUT


Thursday 23 December 2010

Tackled? Quotes Of The Year 2010



“I argued for an MTV-style format with an uplifting message. I wanted to see stars such as David Beckham, Rio Ferdinand, David James and Steve Gerrard. Sadly, I was outvoted” – Peter Tatchell hits out at the FA’s homophobia film, February

Its not very high on the agenda – Gordon Taylor, on tackling homophobia, February.

“Basically we need a gay Lionel Messi” – Matt Lucas, March

“If a player came to me and said he was gay I would say to him: ‘You have shown courage’. But then I would tell him to find something else to do." - Rudi Assauer, former German manager, March.

“If a player wants to out himself, then I say good luck. But I believe the world of AFL footy is not ready for it. To come out is unnecessary for a lot of reasons. It would be international news and could break the fabric of a club” – Jason Akermanis of the Western Bulldogs on rumours that one aussie rules football star was about to come out, May.
“There’s been a gay rumour for a long time. I don’t mind at all. I am proud of that. I love fashion, and I think so many gay people have amazing style. So that is a compliment to me” – Freddie Ljungberg, June.
I think the film is a milestone already. Whatever you think about it as a tactic or product. What it’s led to is a growing awareness – Piara Powar, Kick It Out, on the FA Film, June
"Statistically there are going to be 100 gay footballers at the world cup. Where are they?" - Jason Cundy, June

“Bunch Of Gays” – Michael Becker, Michael Ballack’s agent on the German national side, July.
“At Bayer Leverkusen we have absolutely no resentment towards homosexuals” – A spokesman for Bayer Leverkusen, the club where Ballack began his career, July
“They are so out of step it is embarrassing” – Professor Ellis Cashmore from Stafford University - where a study of more than 2000 football fans found the vast majority frown upon homophobia abuse - on clubs and governing bodies, July
“If there are any gay cricketers, they should feel confident enough to come out, because I don’t think there is homophobia in cricket. Football fans can be quite abusive and quite harsh, cricket fans are generally quite placid.” – Jimmy Anderson, cover star of Attitude magazine, September
“The ball does not care who’s playing with him. He just wants to roll”– Marcus Urban, out former German professional footballer, September
“Luckily, only normal people play football” – Croation Football Federation president Vlatko Markovic claiming there is no place for homosexuals in the national team, November.
“They would play as though they’d been unshackled. We have a gay Vice-Chancellor, Berlin’s mayor is gay.” – Mario Gomez, the Bayern Munich footballer, urges homosexual players to come out the closet, November.
I would say they should refrain from any sexual activities” – Sepp Blatter on concerns over the treatment of gay fans at the 2022 Quatar world cup, December.
"It was not my intention and never will be my intention to go into any discrimination. This is exactly what we are against. If somebody feels they have been hurt, then I regret and present apologies" - Sepp Blatter, apologizing, December

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for doing this, I'm really glad you made this list of quotes. It's a very important subject in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete